Tuesday 6 January 2015

Vaguely festive churn dash quilt finish

This quilt has been a LONG time in the making. It started in November 2013 (yes, really!) when I made a couple of test blocks for my Siblings Together Quilting Bee month block. I used some *vaguely* Christmassy fabrics that I had in my stash that I thought I was unlikely to ever do anything with, and rather liked them. 


giant churn dash 2

giant churn dash

I pulled together this little stack with a slightly Christmassy red/ green/aqua/ pink theme.




Christmas passed, and so did my motivation to make a Christmas quilt.

The actual Siblings Together quilt got finished.



And still no progress. It became a bit of a FAL rollover item, as I do hate having UFOs lying around. And then at the start of October I realised I was in danger of another Christmas passing without it done. So I got on with it. 


What I really want to do is turn this lot into a quilt top. but I'm going to be good and start cutting my super tote for #leedsmqg  @craftyhannah I'll let you know how far I get!


These are lovely big (20" unfinished) blocks which go together fast, and I tried not to agonise too much over the fabric choices while still getting a reasonable balance of colours and values, I think it was this that had paralysed my progress throughout the year. I had collected a few nice little festive prints to go in this quilt and enjoyed using them. Favorites are from Annela Hoey, Karen Lewis Textiles and Kate Spain.

More agonies over layout, which never seem to matter once the quilt is actually complete. I used a long ago won voucher for Button up and Stitch to buy a Christmassy backing:

#fabricpost ! This is my backing, better get my Christmas quilt finished!

Quilted with my standard wavy lines - life's too short to try anything new, you know. And (eventually) got it bound in perfect red on white squared elements. And I STILL haven't taken any decent photos of it, this will have to do.



And yes, there has been much festive snuggling. And silly face pulling.


One of those original blocks didn't actually make it into the final quilt due to being the wrong green. I have cushion plans afoot so expect to see it popping up on the 2015 Q1 FAL list!

So here we have it:
Pattern: Giant churn dash blocks
Size: 58"ish by 78"ish
Fabrics: Lots!
Quilting: Diagonal wavy lines in Aurifil 50wt #5007
Backing: Lizzie Mackay Christmas Wish
Binding: Art Gallery Squared Elements

And that's my final FAL post done! Linking up to Katy, just in the nick of time. 

2 comments:

  1. It turned out really great! I love Squared Elements for a binding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the quilt, and the two little faces poking out above it. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Thank you for your comment :-)